Friday 18 December 2009

Raqs Sharqi Society welcomes new Associate

I'm so excited!

Yesterday I got a letter from the Raqs Sharqi Society. They have accepted my application for Associate Membership of the Society.

The Rags Sharqi Society is an independent not for profit association that promotes, teaches and provides opportunities to study traditional and contemporary Egyptian Dance, in the UK and around the world. I have been taking lessons with teachers who are members of the society since it was first established 12 years ago. So I am really excited to now be accepted as a representative of the Society through my own teaching and performance work.

The Society promotes a particular style Egyptian Dance, that has emerged over the last 25 years. It's a little different to some of the other styles of Egyptian Dance and Middle Eastern Dance. It is based on the traditional roots of music and dances still found in some parts of Egypt today. But what makes this style different is the modern twist, that pays tribute to the ancient roots whilst finding a new contemporary interpretation, with a strength of discipline and performance adapted for stage equivalent to any of the contemporary dance arts.

That's a lot to live up to. My I only hope that through my work and the small contribution that it makes, I can help more people within the wider community discover the beauty and enjoyment of watching and learning this amazing dance.

www.habibadance.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...